Thursday, August 03, 2006

School Supplies


The other day we made a trip to the store to buy school supplies. This was actually a first for me (as a mom). In Utah, at least at my kids school, the teachers/school provided all the school supplies. Actually, I guess I did have to buy school supplies when we first moved here in March, when they weren't all over the stores and on sale... Anyway, I haven't seen my kids that excited for a long time. "I need glue sticks!! Washable markers!! Colored pencils!" They were carefully putting what supplies would fit, into their little pencil boxes - in the store. Here are some of the things on the list that surprised me. David needed 12 glue sticks. I guess they do a lot of gluing in first grade. Or maybe they are trying to make up for the kids who don't bring enough. They each needed 2 boxes of Kleenex. With all the property taxes we pay around here, the school can't even provide Kleenex? I guess they are pretty worried about kids having runny noses. I'm surprised they didn't put toilet paper down. The most expensive thing I had to buy was 4 Expo dry erase markers. I wonder why each kid needed 4. And the thing I hate about those kind of markers is that they stain clothes pretty bad. I've tried and tried but those markers set for life. I guess that's the drawback of being able to wipe it easily off of a whiteboard. They still put "no trapper keepers" on the list. I remember those being banned when I was a kid. It's a wonder the company is still in business. Here were some other banned items - mechanical pencils and pencil sharpeners. They also specified that every pencil had to already be sharpened. To Rachel it was kind of a catch-22. No pencil sharpeners but the pencils must be sharpened. I guess you have to do that at home. Anyway, it was pretty fun seeing them so excited for school. Unfortunately, when we bought the supplies, they still had about a month left before school starts. All the stores have everything out and on sale right now. I didn't want to wait fearing that everything would be gone or not on sale any more. The sales were pretty good too - crayons for 20 cents, spiral notebooks for 10 cents, pocket folders for 5 cents, pencil boxes for 50 cents, and paper for 50 cents. If you decided to shop at the dollar store this year for school supplies - you got ripped off. Now I just have to convince my kids not to use their stuff until school starts.

1 comment:

Ginger said...

You really lucked out in Utah! We had to bring all that stuff and more when I was a kid. We even had to bring flower bulbs to plant on the school grounds. It sounds like the kiddos are really excited for school this year. I told Sam about this post and now he's seething with anticipation over getting to have his own glue sticks someday.