Tuesday, June 19, 2007

All in a day's work

On Saturday Aaron spent hours working on our yard. I really should have taken a before picture because even I don't really remember what it looked like before, but it is much improved now. There was no division between the grass and the bark where the flowers are. The grass was starting to creep into the flower bed area and it just looked messy. One of the small trees had died. Aaron weeded all the grass out of the flower area, put an edging all around the flower area, planted a new tree, put rock under the area where the gutters drain, and put new wood chips down. It only took 3 trips to Lowes and several hours in the hot, humid weather. It looks really nice.
 

 

Rachel calls this our "magic" rose bush. It has light pink roses on it and dark pink ones too.
 

Aaron also pruned this tree very nicely so all the flowers underneath it now show. This is my favorite tree in our yard. It has beautiful pink blossoms on it for about a week in the Spring. The only problem is that the blossoms don't last very long!
 

This made me realize that some jobs can be very satisfying. You work hard all day long, but at the end of the day, you have something beautiful to look at. That's why I enjoy sewing so much - the fruit of your labors is worth it. This is also the reason I find housework so discouraging. I can work in the house all day and at the end of the day it can still be a mess. A clean kitchen can be made very messy just preparing one meal. I can spend all day doing laundy and the next day I'm still putting it away. I haven't even finished putting it away yet and there is already more to do. A clean room can be messed up in a few minutes by a 2 year old. I guess next time I get everything really clean I should take a picture - then I can look at that and remember all the hard work I did. Somehow, I don't think it would be the same :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: