Wednesday, March 05, 2008

After nearly 10 years...

I am done changing diapers! I can hardly believe it. Since Emma is the youngest, I didn't really have as much motivation in potty training her. I am pretty busy during the day and it is a little more convenient to have a child in diapers. But, I decided it was time. She is going to be three in a few months. I had forgotten how hard the first few days are. Even though I have 4 kids and I have done this 3 times before, you always forget - kind of like how you forget how hard it is to be pregnant. But, after 3 days, she really caught on. Now we've gone a full week with no accidents of any kind. She has no problem using the potty at church or at the gym. She always tells me and is capable of holding it if we are not near a bathroom. I even have half a package of diapers that I probably won't ever use. She is still not dry at night, but is very stubborn - she refuses to wear a diaper. So, my last bit of dealing with diapers is taking off a wet pull-up in the morning, and that is pretty easy to deal with.

One reason I didn't want to potty train Emma was that she still wanted to sleep in her crib. I thought I can't have a child in a crib that is potty trained because they won't be able to get up and use the bathroom if they need to. So, I came up with a solution that works pretty well - I took the side off of the crib. It's pretty much my own homemade toddler bed. I guess I never thought of it before because we were always using the crib for the next baby. So, my littlest one is sleeping in a "big girl bed" and is potty trained. I think my problem now is that I don't have a baby anymore. Which makes me sad, but also happy at the same time. I guess I should probably enjoy these few years in between having a baby and having teenagers.

6 comments:

Bond Fam said...

Yay no more diapers, that is something to be excited about! Yay for you!

Jess said...

Wow, that is great and hard to believe. I remember when you just had Rachel and you were living at Wymount. Time flies. Emma did really well with potty training. Way to go!

Julie Olson said...

congrats! I like the perspective of enjoying the few years between babies and teenagers. I hadn't thought of it that way. I was just feeling a little tinge of need for a baby but not really feeling our family was incomplete. THanks for the perspective.

Laura Bloomfield said...

Way to Go Emma!!!! (Way to Go Amanda!!!!) That is so exciting!!!

Amanda Stevens said...

Well after 12 years I am still going. I am afraid I am a little jealous of your accomplishment. Tommy isn't 2 yet and Gideon is only 4 months. I have a long ways to go.

Sarah said...

Wow, for some reason this makes me feel old and really young. Your kids are all out of diapers and I don't even have ONE yet! But at the same time, an entire set of my nieces and nephews is out of diapers!