Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Library Summer Days


Today felt like the first official day of Summer - 4 kids at home and hours of entertainment to fill. The novelty of being out of school has already worn off. So, we went to the library. Rachel declared she wasn't going to check anything out until she is done reading the entire Lemony Snickets series - which I bought for her. Granted, she is on book 5 (out of 10 books) and I love that she is reading them, but she doesn't think that she can read more than one book at a time. David's latest passion is Curious George. Sure, the books have been around since WWII, but my kids don't give them a second glance until a movie is made about the silly little monkey. But, today, all the Curious George books were gone and he was in a sour mood. Emma was tired and was trying to rip off my glasses every time I held her. When I asked about the summer reading program, the librarian informed me that you couldn't sign up until June 1 (it was May 30) and the only books that count are ones that you get from the library on or after June 1. I really think the next time we are coming to the libary in when the books are due - not the day after tomorrow. Then she showed us the "self checkout" option of checking out your books. Not really the best option with 4 kids. Of course the kids wanted to do it all by themselves. They took the advice of the librarian to "slowly slide your books on the scanner to remove the magentic strip" a little too literally. Maybe I should be glad we didn't have 15 Curious George books - we might still be there. Then, as we were leaving, Josh wanted to push the button that opens the doors - you know, the handicapped button. David decided that he had to push it first. I came home worn out and vowing not to return for at least 3 weeks. Going to the library is hard with 4 kids. I think going just about anywhere with all the kids is going to be difficult. I think it's going to be a long summer.

No comments: