Saturday, May 27, 2006

Spelling 101



David just finished kindergarten. It was a big transition moving here because he went from half day to full day and had to learn a lot more material. To top that off, he got bronchitis and was sick for 5 days. I've been helping him at home and he is doing great! He just brought home his journals and writing papers. His teacher firmly believes in kids sounding everything out so that results in some pretty unique spelling. Here is some of his work:

  • Bears are sgreeee (scary)
  • giraffe hf log nakc (have long necks)
  • tiger r ogr (are orange)
Most of the rest of his school ones were ineligible. For their school journal, they write on unlined paper. Come on, we're talking about kids who just learned to write. Anyway, I have him write a journal at home on lined paper and I help him a little bit with the spelling. But I still let him sound out words as much as he can. Here are a few of my favorites from home:
  • My faile haz famle nit (my family has family night)
  • I fond a trasr in the moutin (found a treasure in the mountain)
  • I got a dinosor. It can bite and ror.
You don't really realize how many little rules in reading and writing there are until you try and teach someone to do it. I also found a few from Rachel from when she was in first grade. She is actually doing well above grade level now. In the past 2 weeks, she has read the first 3 books in Lemony Snickets a Series of Unfortunate Events series. Anyway, here are some of her journals. I won't translate this time - let's see if you can sound it out.

  • I love thnasgiving and crismiss. I love all the Halladays and I love school and I love my holl family. I love evrything. I love my bruther.
  • Reespeckt mensa love, pashint, and hope. Kinise to othres. reespekt mensa evrething.
  • Hope is supthing speshel.
  • Joya is supthing happy. Its a happy feliin in your hart.
  • Familys are speshl. Speshler then anything. Why are they speshler? thay will take care of us. why do thay take care of us? so we have a home.
  • tempels are byoudfell, byoudfeller then any thing. you can git meredr in it for evr onle if you are good. We love the tempel. Tempels are speshel beckus Jesis Crist livs in it. Tempels are byoudufell bekus it is fary speshell! So be good. I want to be mared in the tempels. Temples are graetr then enything. I love tempels.
  • Churches are speshell beckas Jeasis livs in them. You go to primary in it. girls war dresis. We like goin thar. I go to chure to larn about Jesis. I take the sakrmint.
  • Dads hellp you mor then anything. So dads are graet. Dads are swet. Dads hellp tacke kar of us.
  • Moms thake care of us! Moms are nice! Mom feeds us.
Anyway, I thought they were pretty cute. Hope you enjoyed!

No comments: