Wednesday, November 05, 2008

In Loving Memory



Late Sunday night, just a few weeks past his 90th birthday, my Grandpa Glen passed away. He had been declining for the past few years, so in many ways, this is a blessing. We will miss him, and are all a little sad, but also happy to know that he is in a better place now. The kids don't really have a lot of memories of their great grandpa, but I was touched when Rachel and David both shed a few tears when they learned of his passing. This picture is my grandpa as a young father - the cute little boy in the picture is my dad. My sister told a fun story about him on her blog, so I thought I would share a different one about him that I remember being told. He was born in 1918 and was a twin. I'm sure times were quite different back then, but I can still imagine a mother's worry when a child goes missing. I'm not sure how old he was (I think he was a baby) but one morning he was placed on a bed and then later, when his mom went to check on him, he was gone! Everybody searched high and low for several hours and it was determined that he was probably kidnapped by gypsies. I can't imagine the grief this young mother must have been feeling. Then, someone noticed some sounds coming from under the bed. Turns out he rolled off the bed and under it, where he slept peacefully for several hours. He has always been a teaser and a joker and I guess he started very young!

We will miss you Grandpa!

6 comments:

Trinity said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. The old photo is really sweet -- what a great picture to have!

Laura Bloomfield said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I am glad, though, that you have good stories to remember about him.

Heather said...

what a sweet photo. i love heritage photos. It is sad to lose grandparents. Fun to have memories and stories and old photographs though.

Bond Fam said...

Im so sorry Amanda! This was such a good post, I loved the story.

Laurie said...

I'm glad you have such fond memories...and a few funny stories of your grandpa. Grandparents are so special. I love that children(Rachel and David) can recognize this love even when they don't know them well, special bond. Sorry for your loss.

Jenn said...

Oh I am so sorry! Sounds like he was a great person, and will be missed!