Sunday, April 19, 2009

The final leg

{I did a lot of posts at once, please scroll all the way down to read them in order.}

Our plan was to leave for Colorado Springs on April 1. Utah/Wyoming/Colorado had been going through a series of storms. It was supposed to snow on April 1st, but we decided to watch and wait to see what the weather would do. We didn't want to delay leaving, and then get stuck behind a storm. It did snow that morning, but cleared up and we left around 10:00am. The freeways were all open and the weather didn't really seem all that bad. There was a little bit of snow here and there between Utah and Wyoming, but nothing that slowed us down. We ate lunch in Little America, and Dinner in Cheyenne. Sarah took over driving and the roads from Cheyenne to Denver were great. I had wanted to pull over and take a picture of a Welcome to Colorado sign (we did that when we entered New Mexico) but we never saw one. Here is a picture of Josh at a rest stop just over the border by a Colorado Map.

That's when I jinxed us - I said I was officially glad that we had decided to leave that day.
Soon after, we started to have issues. I don't want to embarrass anyone, but we some issues with bodily functions. Then the roads got very, very bad. They were snow packed, slushy, and very slick. One funny moment was when we opened the windows to get some fresh air, and a snow plow zoomed past us showering the interior of the car with wet, slushy, dirty snow. I am very grateful for a lot of things. I'm glad that Sarah was with me, and that she was driving when I needed to help the kids (doing something only a mother could do). I really feel that I was inspired to bring round, plastic tubs (old food containers) to pack some of the food in. They even had lids! That was a lifesaver. The last 40 miles took over 2 hours. We didn't pull in until after 10pm. Driving time - about 12 hours (25 for the whole trip!) I'm also very grateful that we made it there safely and that the car didn't give us any trouble (well, except for a dead battery at the very beginning, but then the battery was fine the rest of the trip).

I am very glad that we are a family again. I'm excited about living here. I'm thankful that Aaron found a nice house for us to rent. I'm looking forward to this next chapter in our lives.

3 comments:

Amanda Stevens said...

I am glad you are with your entire family moved and safe. I have been missing your updates! Cute swim pictures!

Bond Fam said...

Oh Im sorry you had issues on the last leg of your trip, but Im so glad that Sarah was with you!

Jess said...

Wow Amanda that was quite the trip! I am impressed that you did most of the trip by yourself with the kids. You're amazing! It sounded like quite the adventure. Glad you are safely there and getting settled.