Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Some good deals and some good recipes


Recently I came across a few good deals and some recipes that I wanted to share. Check in your local area to see if a pharmacy near you is offering some generic prescriptions for $4. I think that Walmart started the program in some select states. In our area it is offered by the Bakers Store. Bakers is owned by Kroger. I don't know if other Kroger stores will follow suit but it might be worth it to check out. With insurance, we normally pay $12 per prescriptions (generic) so $4 is a pretty good deal. I've had some sick kids lately and I was able to save some money on prescriptions.

Amazon now has a grocery section and right now you can save $10 off an order of $49 or more. The grocery products qualify for free shipping as well. Just use code GROCERY3 when you check out. I didn't really spend a lot of time browsing through their products - it's mostly stuff in bulk. But, I did buy diapers and saved some money. They have all the major brands and it saved me from how much I pay at walmart. You can also use the coupon as many times as you want!

Most of you probably already do this, but check your Sunday paper coupons. I used to think they only had coupons for products that I don't usually buy. At a recent shopping trip, I saved over $15. This week I found coupons for milk, sour cream, toilet paper, soup - stuff we all buy. If you find a grocery store that will double your coupons - even better.

Here are some great recipes. I am trying to eat healthy. It always helps me when I eat a good breakfast. This recipe might even be from the south beach diet, but I found it on allrecipes.com. It's a really good (and healthy) pancake recipe. Here goes:

1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal (not the quick cooking kind)
1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
4 egg whites (sometimes I use 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites)
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon Splenda (if you like it a little bit sweet)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until it's all mixed up. Cook on a medium-high griddle sprayed with Pam.
Makes 4-6 pancakes.
This only makes one generous serving, so double it for more people.

Here is a recipe for whole wheat bread. This uses all whole wheat flour. If you are using a mixer, you'll have to make sure it isn't too big for your kind of mixer. I have a Kitchenaid Artisan stand mixer and I have to 3/4 the recipe.

Add the ingredients in the following order.
4 cups warm water
3 T yeast
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup gluten flour
1 T salt
7-10 cups flour

Mix all ingredients together and add enough flour to keep the dough from sticking to the bowl. You want a thicker dough, but not too thick that it is hard for the mixer to mix. Knead for 9 mintues in the mixer. Form into loaves and put in greased pans, 3 large pans or 4 regular loaf pans. Let rise for 20-25 minutes. Put into a cold oven (bread will finish rising as oven heats up.) Set oven for 350. Bake for 28-30 mintues.

Don't leave out the gluten flour - it is very important to help the heavy wheat bread rise.

This bread is very tasty - especially right out of the oven. You can have 3 fresh loaves of bread in about 1 1/2 hours. So, there you go, some good stuff I wanted to pass on.

No comments: