Thursday, August 14, 2008

First Day of School

Here in Las Cruces school started on August 11th. That is the earliest that my kids have ever gone back to school. They were all excited, though, and ready to start. On the Friday before school started, we went to the school (having registered 2 weeks before) so that I could find out who their teachers were and we could find out where the classrooms were. I wanted the first day of school to be as stress free as possible. Unfortunately, they still didn't have my kids assigned to teachers. Monday was just going to have to be an adventure.
I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that my kids could ride the bus to school. We actually live pretty close (as the crow flies) and google maps puts us at .9 miles away if you were to drive it. Since my kids didn't even know where they were supposed to go, I decided that I was going to take them the first day. After they got dressed and ate breakfast, we were getting ready to leave and I started getting worried about the parking situation at school. At the last minute, I decided that we should probably walk to avoid having to find a parking space. I had never walked to the school (I had been told by some neighbors that you could cut through some undeveloped area to get there in a few minutes). I really should have investigated it before that morning - I had Emma in the stroller and cutting through the desert that was full of brush, dirt, and sand would have been difficult. Not to mention we had to climb down about 3 feet of a rock wall. So, by the time we walked a little bit, and decided that it wasn't going to work, it was almost time for the bus to be there. I offered to let the kids ride the bus to school (because they were so excited about that) and I would drive there separately and meet them at the front door. They waited at the corner. A bus came, stopped, and opened it doors but the bus driver said that bus didn't go to Desert Hills (I still have no idea what school it could be going to). Then, another bus drove by and it was the bus number that I was expecting - but it didn't stop. I found out later that the bus drives by, loops around, and then comes from the other direction. But, at that point, I was getting worried about being late and just drove everyone to school. Then, we had to scramble for a parking space, find their names on the class lists, and navigate a school that we had never been past the front office. We made it before the bell rang and even went over and met Josh's teacher.
Here's Rachel, all ready for 5th grade.

David, 3rd grade.

Josh, didn't start Kindergarten today, but I still took his picture. And that's one of my old cell phones that he has clipped on his pants - Josh and David can spend hours playing with an old cell phone - who knew?

Patiently waiting while mom takes pictures.

Waiting for the bus (that they didn't get on!)

David in his classroom.

Rachel at her desk.

This is a few days later when Josh got to go to his class from 9-11.



He has his first full day on Friday. I hope they all have a happy, safe, successful year!

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Amanda,

What great kids you have! It sounds like that morning was a lot more stressful for you then it was for them! They sure look happy! I hope everyone has a great year too! (And you at home with only 1??? What will you do?)

Ginger said...

I totally understand the worry of sending your kids to a new school where they don't know where to go or what to do. I'm glad it all worked out though.

Bond Fam said...

What a busy day!! Im glad that you got everything figured out!

Jenn said...

Seems like the first day is always so crazy, but even worse at a new school. Glad it finally all worked out for you guys!

Jenee Zirker said...

And I thought that they started school early here. The kids look so grown up and I love Davids glasses. Has he always had those? Well we miss you here but it looks as if the kids have adjusted only a few more years and all of them are going to be in school. What are you going to do?

Jess said...

That would have totally stressed me out, but it sounded like you handled it perfectly. I can't believe you have three in elementary school now. So crazy!

Laurie said...

Well, you sure did handle that well. I would be a total wreck and stress case. Can't wait to hear how they all did in their new school. I'm sure they are very happy!

Laurie said...

Did I ever tell you, how cute I think your blog is. The name and the backround or wallpaper or whatever you call it. Did you do it yourself? So cute.