Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The Longest Day of the Year



"She snapped them out with her fingers. “In two weeks it’ll be the longest day in the year.” She looked at us all radiantly. “Do you always watch for the longest day of the year and then miss it? I always watch for the longest day in the year and then miss it.”"
-The Great Gatsby

I always miss it too, but this year, I didn't. It was about 9:30 pm and was still very light and I said to the kids that were up (yeah, I know, it was pretty late, but it was so light!) it's the longest day of the year! We need to go outside and enjoy it. We got rewarded for going outside - we were treated to a dazzling display of fireflies. They were just blinking all over the place. I've seen a few here and there, but not like that night. I think they must have been celebrating too. So, happy June 21st! And if you missed it, there's always next year.

No comments: